Potatoes & Gravy
Perfect Potatoes in 4 Steps
1. Add 4 pounds potatoes, cut and peeled, to boiling water. Cook 20-25 minutes, until tender. Drain.
2. Mash potatoes in a mixing bowl.
3. Add milk (up to 1 cup) in small amounts, beating after each addition.
4. Add 4 ounces cream cheese, 1 stick butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until light and fluffy.
The Easiest Way to Peel Potatoes
Foolproof Turkey Gravy
1. Pour out turkey drippings, reserving 1/4 cup and the brown bits in the pan.
2. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour and cook on medium heat.
3. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbling.
4. Pour in 2 cups broth and heat to simmering, stirring constantly. Let bubble for 1 minute.
5. Stir in browning sauce, if desired, and flavor with salt and pepper.
Fix a Gravy In Trouble
Place a slice of fresh bread on top of the fat for a few seconds to absorb it; remove bread before it breaks into pieces.
Pour into food processor and process until smooth, or press gravy through a strainer; return to saucepan and heat.
Dissolve 1 tablespoon flour in 2 tablespoon water; stir into gravy with fork or wire whisk. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Stir in browning sauce, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce in color (start with 1 teaspoon).
Add a raw peeled potato, cut into eighths; cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes, then remove potato pieces.