Homemade Mac and Cheese
We’re just going to call it: Homemade mac and cheese is the best of all. You get to choose everything: the pasta, cheese, toppings and cooking style are all up to you!
Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese: Looking for a scratch recipe for easy mac and cheese? Betty’s Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese recipe couldn’t be easier. There’s little more to it than adding your ingredients to the slow cooker and letting it cook low and slow for a couple of hours. There’s even a crunchy breadcrumb topping that’s made easily on the stovetop while the mac and cheese is on its way to cheesy perfection in your slow cooker.
Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese
The ultimate in cheesy indulgence! This ultra-creamy spin on classic mac gets topped with a can’t-skip-it sprinkling of toasty breadcrumbs that delivers a crunchy contrast in textures.
Baked Mac and Cheese: Baked mac and cheese
is our favorite because it has all the textures we love. It starts on the stovetop with the ultimate cheesy sauce, then gets poured into a dish and baked till golden for that irresistibly chewy top layer.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Nothing's as comforting as tender pasta topped with creamy cheese!
This recipe also has two tasty twists to choose from:
- Three Cheese: Replace 1 cup of the Cheddar with 3 oz cream cheese, cubed, and 4 oz shredded Gruyère cheese. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese and ¼ teaspoon chopped Italian parsley over the top of each ramekin.
- Mex Mac and Cheese: Substitute 8 oz cubed process cheese spread with jalapeño peppers for the sharp Cheddar cheese. Stir in ¼ cup salsa, and top with ½ cup corn chips, crushed.
Stovetop Mac and Cheese: Cooking it on the stovetop is the quickest way to get mac and cheese to the table, but you don’t have to reach for the boxed variety to do so. With our recipe for Turkey and Broccoli Cheeseburger Macaroni, you can cook up a complete meal all in one pan!
Pro Tip: Add in one cup of chopped cooked chicken and ¼ cup of buffalo wing sauce.
Pro Tip: Sneak some extra veggies into dinner by stirring in half a bag of cooked frozen mixed vegetables.
In a pinch (when we need dinner now), we reach for Annie’s Homegrown, which offers macaroni and cheese for pretty much everyone. We’re talking organic, vegan, gluten free, white cheddar, shells, grass-fed, non-GMO and so much more.
Best Cheese for Mac and Cheese
Classic mac and cheese is typically made with Cheddar cheese, but making it from scratch is an opportunity to experiment for a dinner your family will love. Who doesn’t love three-, four-, or even five-cheese macaroni? There are so many cheeses that work well in mac and cheese, based on your preferences. Betty also has recipes calling for Parmesan, mozzarella, provolone, fontina, gruyère and more!
For creamy mac and cheese, it’s best to shred your cheese by hand because it melts easiest. If you need to speed up the process, you can use pre-shredded cheeses, but they may not melt quite as well.
Looking for more tips on how to serve and cook with cheese? We’ve got answers right here.
How to Make Baked Mac and Cheese
What You’ll Need:
- Ingredients for Ultimate Mac and Cheese
- Cooking spray
- 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish
- 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven
- Wire whisk
- 6-inch skillet
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
2. Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt ½ cup butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With wire whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir pasta and parsley into cheese sauce. Pour mixture into baking dish.
3. In 6-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; stir in bread crumbs. Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
4. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.