Adding new flavors and textures is a great way to take macaroni from boring to extraordinary. You don’t need to make an extra trip to the store to try Betty’s new takes on the comfort-food classic; in fact, you probably have most of the ingredients on hand already. Simply start with a basic macaroni recipe—like our top-notch Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese—and give it a new twist with any of the following ingredients.
Sprinkle on before baking:
Add just before removing from oven:
- Mix ½ cup fresh or dried bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- One-half cup crushed plain potato chips (flavored chips tend to get too brown if added before baking)
- One-half cup French-fried onions
Sprinkle on about ½ cup of any of the following after baking—or serve alongside:
- One-half cup additional shredded cheese (bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted)
Keys to Success:
- Crushed plain or flavored croutons
- Crushed crackers, flavored potato chips or snack chips
- Chopped fresh parsley or other herbs
- Sliced or cubed avocado
- Thinly sliced or chopped tomatoes
- Salsa or sour cream
- Diced bell peppers
- Sliced olives
Swap the Cheese:
- Cook pasta before mixing with sauce. It will not get tender if added uncooked.
- Cook flour mixture until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir constantly while making sauce, so that the flour mixture thickens the milk evenly.
- Serve immediately so pasta will be creamy and not continue to soak up the sauce.
Use any of these cheeses in place of all or part of the cheddar in Betty’s Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- Asiago or parmesan (up to 1 cup)
- Blue or gorgonzola crumbled (up to 1 cup)
- Brie crumbled (up to 1 cup)
- Cheddar (white or smoked)
- Gouda (regular or smoked)
- Monterey Jack or pepper jack