Bring everyone together for a beloved 1-year-old's first celebration. This darling centerpiece cake will tickle every guest and bring back happy memories of splashy bubble baths! And let's face it - that first birthday is as much about doting grownups, brothers, sisters, and cousins as the little guest of honor!
Purchase a duck-shaped sponge or cut a duck-shape from a sponge. Dip the sponge in yellow paint and stamp onto cardstock. Add wiggly eyes found at craft stores. The same stamp can be used for paper napkins, tablecloth and treat bags.
Sprinkle the table with pale blue confetti to resemble water and decorate with lots of inexpensive yellow rubber duckies (in a variety of sizes). Everyone can take a few home.
Party Games & Activities
- Capture that first bite of cake with a video camera as well as still shots.
- Ask an older sibling or adult to interview guests on video about the birthday child, adding their own commentary about the day. Burn a DVD for baby's memory box as well as to share.
- Play a game that tests the adults' knowledge of the one-year old. Gather facts about the child's first year of development such as "how many diapers did she/he use this year," "how many teeth does she/he have?" Award a prize for the most correct answers.
- Play music and have a sing along with "Rubber Ducky, You're the One" and "Splish Splash, I Was Taking a Bath."
- Gather all the little ones attending the party and blow bubbles.
"Just Ducky" party favors include anything from duck-shaped soaps, bath bubbles, bottles of blowing bubbles and the rubber squeaking ducks themselves.
The Betty Crocker Kitchens and Howdini.com show you how to create a darling cake that will delight any one year old!
Watch the Full Size Video