While we always appreciate a classic, we also love getting creative with comfort foods. Follow the directions to make Betty’s signature American Grilled Cheese and simply sub in the various breads, cheeses and fillings below to create a completely new take on the griddle classic.
- Apple Grilled Cheese: Spread raisin walnut bread with Apple Butter and top with slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese: Top sourdough bread with sliced smoked gouda cheese and caramelized onions.
- Day-After-Thanksgiving Grilled Cheese: Spread slices of marble rye bread with cranberry mustard; top with sliced turkey, cranberry relish and Havarti cheese.
- Gouda-Pear Grilled Cheese: Drizzle cinnamon swirl bread with honey; top with thin slices of pear and sliced aged gouda.
- Grilled “Hot” Ham and Cheese: Top pumpernickel bread with sliced pepper jack cheese, sliced deli ham and well-drained pepperoncini slices.
- Italian Country Grilled Cheese: Layer sliced ciabatta bread with sliced fontina cheese, sliced tomato, sliced avocado and crisp bacon slices.
- Mint Brie-Raspberry Grilled Cheese: Spread French bread slices with raspberry preserves and top with thick slices of brie.
- Spanish Grilled Cheese: Spread whole-grain rustic bread with fig jam and top with sliced manchego cheese.
Now that the grilled cheese is covered, try one of our four favorite tomato soups to pair and/or dunk with your signature sandwich: