Meet the dessert that proves you can have your cake and eat it too—for breakfast! We’re always looking for ways to sneak dessert onto the brunch table and this baked oatmeal cake dishes up the perfect excuse. It features your morning favorites like oatmeal and fresh blueberries and gets sweeter with a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and citrus glaze.
What you’ll need:
1. Heat your oven to 350? and spray the bottom and sides of a 13x9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat four cups of milk on medium-high until boiling. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in two cups of quick-cooking oats. Cook for one minute, stirring occasionally and then remove from heat.
2. Now add ½ cup of butter to the saucepan and allow the mixture to cook for another two to three minutes stirring occasionally.
3. When the butter has melted, beat in the cake mix, three eggs, one tablespoon of grated lemon peel, one teaspoon of vanilla and ¼ teaspoon of salt until well blended.
4. Stir in one cup of the blueberries and pour into your 13x9 pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of berries over the cake mixture.
5. Bake the cake for 38 to 43 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes.
6. While the cake cools or just before serving, make the citrus glaze. Using a small bowl, stir ½ cup of powdered sugar and one tablespoon of lemon juice until well blended. If the frosting is too thick to drizzle, add more lemon juice in one-teaspoon increments. Drizzle over the cake and enjoy!
And for all of you chocolate lovers out there, we have you covered with our Chocolate-Raspberry version. The fresh raspberries, chocolate chips and creative use of devil’s food cake mix make it our new favorite way to eat chocolate for breakfast.