Too cute to keep to yourself, these Chocolate Crinkle Nests are an easy Easter baking activity to enjoy with your little ones. Here’s how it’s done!
What you’ll need:
- Ingredients for Cake Mix Fudge Crinkle Cookies
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 bag candy-coated chocolate eggs
- Green food coloring
- Quart-sized plastic zip-top bag
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Cookie sheet
- Cooling rack
1. In quart-sized plastic zip-top bag, combine shredded coconut and two to three drops of green food coloring. Seal bag and shake to combine, adding more coloring a drop at a time until desired color of green is reached. Set aside, assemble your other ingredients and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare Cake Mix Fudge Crinkle Cookie dough and refrigerate 15-30 minutes, until firm. Once dough has firmed up, using a tablespoon, scoop and roll into 1 1/2-inch balls.
3. Coat each dough ball in powdered sugar.
4. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart.
5. Pop in oven and bake 9 to 11 minutes or until set.
6. Cool two minutes, then, working quickly, make thumbprint indentations.
7. Fill each indentation with a sprinkling of tinted coconut, about 1 tablespoon per cookie.
8. Fill each coconut “nest” with three candy-coated chocolate eggs.
9. Carefully remove cookies from cookie sheet to cooling rack and cool completely.
Tip: Jelly beans or pastel malted milk balls would also make good “eggs!”