Looking to learn how to bake the perfect chicken? We walk you through our easy Herb Roast Chicken and Vegetables to show you how it’s done, step by step. Hint: it’s simpler than you might think!
- As you’re baking, you can cover darker spots such as the wings or top of the breast with small pieces of foil if the chicken is browning unevenly.
- You’ll need a shallow roasting pan or 13 x 9-inch pan and an ovenproof meat thermometer to check for doneness. Other tools we love for baking chicken: a zester, butchers’ string and a basting brush to brush the oil mixture onto the chicken.
- After the chicken is done you’ll need to let it rest 15 to 20 minutes prior to carving to give the juices time to redistribute and make the meat easier to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To make our simple Herb Roast Chicken and Vegetables you’ll first want to prepare the oil mixture. In a small bowl, mix the oil, thyme, marjoram leaves (an herb you can buy at your local grocery store,) salt and pepper.
- Next, grate 1 teaspoon of lemon peel and stir peel into oil mixture. Cut lemon into quarters; place in cavity of chicken. This will add a nice, well-balanced flavor to your chicken.
- Fold the wings across the back of the chicken so the tips are touching. Skewer or tie legs together with butchers’ string. On a rack in a shallow roasting pan or 13 x 9-inch pan, place chicken, breast side up.
- Brush some of the oil mixture onto the chicken. This will help keep it moist and make the outside of the chicken deliciously crusty.
- Insert an ovenproof meat thermometer so the tip is in the thickest part of the thigh but does not touch the bone. (You’ll want to make sure the internal temp reads at least 165°F when you take it out.)
- Roast uncovered in the oven for about 45 minutes. Arrange potatoes, carrots and green beans around chicken; brush remaining oil mixture on chicken and vegetables. Roast uncovered for another 30 to 45 minutes longer or until the thermometer reads at least 165°F and the legs move easily when lifted or twisted and the veggies are tender. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove lemon and discard. Place chicken on platter; arrange veggies around chicken. Serve and enjoy!