Build a better breakfast by learning how to make restaurant-quality omelets at home. This simple yet nuanced task is easier than ever when you have the right tools and tricks at your disposal—follow along to make your best omelet yet.
What you’ll need:
- 8 eggs
- 8 teaspoons butter
- Salt and pepper, if desired
- 8-inch nonstick skillet
1. For each omelet, in a small to medium-sized bowl, beat 2 of the eggs until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste. In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons butter over medium-high heat until hot and sizzling. As butter melts, tilt pan to coat bottom.
2. Pour eggs into pan. While sliding pan back and forth, continuously stir with spatula to spread eggs as they thicken. Let stand over heat a few seconds to lightly brown bottom of omelet. Do not overcook; omelet will continue to cook after folding.
3. To remove from pan, first run spatula under one edge of omelet, folding about one-third of it to the center.
4. Transfer to plate by tilting pan, letting flat, unfolded edge of omelet slide out onto plate. Using edge of pan as a guide, flip folded edge of omelet over flat portion on plate. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.