With a few ingredients and a bit of imagination, you can make the ultimate April Fool’s Day cake that doubles as both funny and delicious: a moist, yellow cake that looks exactly like a pizza! It’s easy to do, thanks to some help from Betty Crocker Super Moist™ yellow cake mix and tasty toppings like colored frosting, white chocolate and candy. Here’s how to make it!
What you’ll need:
- Ingredients for Pizza Cake
- 12-inch round pan
- Cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Rolling Pin
- 2-inch round biscuit cutter
- Vegetable peeler
1. First, gather your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 12-inch round pan with cooking spray, lining the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the cake batter in a large bowl as directed on the box mixing Betty Crocker Super Moist™ yellow cake mix, eggs, water and oil together. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack for about 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the red frosting. In a small bowl, beat powdered sugar and butter with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Stir in 1 tablespoon of milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make the frosting smooth and spreadable. Add red food color and beat until well blended and you have your desired color. Using a spatula, spread the frosting on cake, leaving 1/2-inch border around edge of cake.
4. Next, grab a vegetable peeler and white chocolate baking bar. Use the vegetable peeler to make white chocolate shavings—this will be the pizza’s “cheese.” Sprinkle over the red frosting.
5. Now, it’s time to make the pizza’s “pepperoni” and “peppers.” To do this, you’ll need some red and green gumdrops. With a rolling pin, roll out red gumdrops and use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut pepperoni-sized rounds. Roll out the green gumdrop and cut into thin strips to resemble slices of green peppers.
6. Place the “pepperoni” and “peppers” on the cake.
7. Lastly, halve some black jelly beans to resemble olives and scatter on top of the cake, then serve!
- If the cake is a little too rounded on top after baking, use a serrated knife to cut the rounded top off the cake to make a more level surface. Do this after it has completely cooled and be sure to place the cake cut-side down on a cake platter or plate before decorating.
- Use your imagination to come up with other fun ways to make candy resemble your favorite pizza toppings!