This restaurant-worthy dessert is reminiscent of a classic after-dinner drink and has many versions, but our favorite rendition comes in a 13x9 and is extra decadent with Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix. Hot fudge topping, Andes™ crème de menthe thins, and whipped topping combine forces to deliver a dessert that’s impressive for special occasions but easy enough to serve as the finale to a weeknight dinner. Here’s how it’s done:
What you’ll need:
- Ingredients for Grasshopper Fudge Cake
- 13x9-inch pan
- Metal spatula or knife
- 2 medium bowls
- Rubber spatula
1. Heat your oven to 350? and spray the bottom of a 13x9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. In a medium-size bowl, prepare the cake mix according to the directions found on the back of the box, adding 1 ½ teaspoons of mint extract to the water.
2. Reserve one cup of the cake mix batter and stir three drops of green food coloring into the reserved batter. Set aside and pour remaining batter into greased 13x9.
3. Using a spoon, drop green batter randomly onto the batter in the pan.
4. With a metal spatula or knife, swirl batters in S-shaped curves in continuous motion. Turn the pan one-fourth turn and repeat swirling.
5. Bake the cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. When the cake is done, run a knife around the sides of the pan and then let it cool for about an hour in the pan.
6. Once the cake has cooled completely, use a rubber spatula or knife to spread the hot fudge topping over the cake.
7. In a medium bowl, stir the whipped topping, ½ teaspoon of mint extract, nine drops of green food coloring, and five drops of yellow food coloring until well blended. Spread the whipped topping mixture over the layer of fudge.
8. Top with crème de menthe chocolate candies for garnish.