I always have been interested in using rhubarb, but was not sure how to use it. One time a friend brought me a pie from Julian, CA and instead of a traditional apple pie, she brought a strawberry rhubarb pie – I loved it! I decided to try and make one at home, since Julian is so far from my home. This recipe is simple and delicious.
1 Cup White Sugar
2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 Pound (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) Rhubarb
1 Pint (halved) Strawberries
1 (9 inch) Pie Crust (unbaked)
3/4 Cup (All Purpose Flour (for topping)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (packed, for topping)
1/2 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup Butter (cold)
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat egg. Add the sugar, flour and vanilla; mix well.
3. Gently fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into pastry shell.
4. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
5. Bake at 400F degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F degrees bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Yield: 1 Pie
Servings: 8-12 Servings