I’d never tried rhubarb before until about a year ago, when my husband’s grandmother, Marlyn, made a homemade rhubarb pie. I was skeptical to try the stuff at first (it looks like red celery. Eww. A celery pie). But I gave it a go, and the next thing I know only a quarter of the pie was left in the tin. I am now rhubarb enlightened, and I do not regret it.
Ingredients for the Muffins
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups chopped rhubarb
Ingredients for the Topping (optional)
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp butter, melted
½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine sugar with oil. Add egg, buttermilk and vanilla, and stir ingredients together well.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients along with chopped rhubarb.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins about 3/4 full. Mix together ingredients for the topping, and sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from tins.
Recipe Yield: 15-18 muffins