Treat yourself and a few friends to a spa day or night at home, complete with manis, pedis and good-for-you fare. Unplug, catch up and enjoy some zen that’s bound to be both invigorating and restorative.
Spa at Home
- The first step in hosting a spa party: Shoo away any spouses, roommates or kids. This is your day to connect with friends and find some peace.
- Ask guests to check their bags and phones (if possible!) at the door for a technology detox.
- A stack of magazines, plenty of hand towels, soothing music and cucumber slices for tired, puffy eyes will instantly create a more spa-like ambiance.
- Don’t forget to have a large jug or glass drink dispenser of homemade infused spa water, which looks great and gives everyone an incentive to hydrate between workouts and treatments.
- Transform a room, patio or lawn into a yoga studio. Hire a yoga instructor to walk you through a private practice or use a DVD, podcast or video. Start the party with a light workout that will put everyone in a more relaxed state of mind.
- Create another “relaxation room” for mini spa treatments. For makeshift pedicures, fill shallow bowls with warm water, pebbles (which massage the feet), bath salts and rose petals. Put the bowls at the base of each chair and let guests soak their feet. Set out a variety of nail files, polishes, lotion, cotton balls, etc., for DIY mani/pedis.
- Whip up a hydrating blueberry face mask or a moisturizing honey-yogurt mask (see recipe below) and send friends home with glowing skin—plus copies of the recipe so they can make it at home. (sidebar?)
Yogurt-Honey Face Mask
2 T. plain Yoplait Greek yogurt
1 T. honey
Combine honey and yogurt. Spread evenly on cleansed skin and leave for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and follow with regular moisturizer.
Keep the food light with energy-packed snacks or a few nourishing family-style salads if you’re serving a meal. Set out bowls of apples, nuts or even antioxidant-rich dark chocolate for guests to snack on throughout the day. After all, relaxing is hard work!