How to Make Beer Can Chicken
Use this popular technique to make tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken—perfect for summer nights that call for easy grilling.
What’s our best secret to succulent summertime chicken? A can of beer, of course! The steam from the beer and the savory rub keep the meat tender and flavorful, and all you’ll need to make it happen are a few simple tools and a working grill.
What you’ll need:
- Ingredients for our Basic Barbecue Rub
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 4 ½ lb)
- 1 can (12 oz) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- Small bowl
- Ovenproof meat thermometer
- Gas or charcoal grill
- Carving knife
- 13x9-inch pan
- Metal spatula
1. In small bowl, mix rub ingredients. Fold wings of chicken across back with tips touching. Sprinkle rub inside cavity and all over outside of chicken; rub with fingers.