When you’re craving comfort, fried chicken is the name of the game. Here we’ll walk you through how to make Betty’s famous Skillet-Fried Chicken—it takes just 40 minutes and four simple steps.
What you’ll need:
- In shallow dish, mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture.
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil (¼ inch) over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil, skin side down, about 10 minutes or until light brown; reduce heat to low. Turn chicken skin side up with tongs.
- Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, without turning, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone.
- To ensure food safety, always make sure poultry has an internal temperature of at least 165°F with an ovenproof meat thermometer.
- To make a lighter version of this recipe (with 11 grams of fat and 250 calories per serving,) remove skin from chicken before cooking and use just 2 tablespoons oil in Step 2.
- To make buttermilk fried chicken, increase flour to 1 cup and dip chicken into 1 cup buttermilk before coating with flour mixture.
To try a new method for frying chicken, why not make it in the oven? Learn How to Oven-Fry Chicken next!