Our breakfast casserole of sausage, bread, white mushrooms and cheddar cheese is holiday magic.
- If desired, you could add zucchini, green peppers, yellow peppers, tomatoes.
- I recommend washing mushrooms before slicing; canned mushrooms are a great substitute.
- You can use your favorite sausage. I recommend chicken apple sausage. The recipe was tested with maple pork sausage. Ground sausage or links would work nicely.
- We used a 12-inch non-stick skillet for cooking the meat and vegetables
- Use any milk of your preference.
- Crack eggs in a separate bowl to make sure egg is okay, and you do not get any shell into the rest of your mixture.
- I recommend buttering or using cooking spray on the baking dish before adding ingredients.
- You can prep ingredients the day before, assemble quickly before placing in oven, if crunched for time.
- To check “doneness” of the casserole, insert knife – casserole is done if knife comes out clean.
- Spray foil with cooking spray before covering casserole to prevent cheese/egg sticking to foil.
- Casserole can go directly from the oven to the table – does not need to “set up.”
© 2014 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved