- Allow enough elbow room for each person. We recommend 24 inches from the middle of each plate to the next.
- Align flatware with the bottom of the plate and place 1 inch from the edge of the table.
Casual Place Setting
Place a fork to the left of the plate, a knife to the right (blade-side toward plate) with the spoon to the right of the knife.
Formal Place Setting
- Arrange utensils in the order of use, starting outside and working in toward the plate.
- Place first-course salad or soup plate on top of the main-course plate.
- Place the bread plate above the forks with the butter knife across the plate.
- Place the salad plate to the left of the forks when served with the main course.
- Place the water glass at the top of the knife and wine or other glasses to the right.
- Place the coffee or tea cup slightly above and to the right of the knife and spoon, or bring with dessert.
- Place dessert flatware and coffee spoon above the dinner plate, or bring with dessert.
- Place the napkin in the center of the plate or to the left of the forks.
- Before dessert, clear the table of all items that won’t be used with dessert.