Yeast Dough, How to Mix
Step-by-step directions for making yeast dough from scratch. Can’t you already smell oven-fresh bread?
1. After the first addition of flour has been beaten in, the dough will be very soft and fall in "sheets" off a rubber spatula.
2. The second addition of flour makes dough stiff enough to knead. Mix in only enough flour so dough leaves the side of the bowl and is easy to handle.
3. To knead, fold dough toward you. With heels of your hands, push dough away from you with a short rocking motion. Move dough a quarter turn; repeat. Dough will feel springy and smooth.
4 Place dough in a large bowl greased with shortening, turning dough to grease all sides.
5. Dough should rise until double in size. Press fingertips about 1/2 inch into dough. If indentations remain, dough has risen enough.
6. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. This releases large air bubbles to produce a finer texture in traditional loaves.