Does your little rocker shimmy every time she hears Top 40 dance music or order you to “turn it up!” from the backseat? Let her channel her inner Idol with a pop star party that will be the envy of her girl gang. Get out your disco ball, amp up the tunes and make sure your video camera is charged.
Setting the Stage
- Send the star-studded guest list invitations in the form of large “tickets” to the party. Print them on cardstock and tailor the wording: for example, Rock On With ... (insert name here), the Venue … (insert address), and Have Your People Call My People ... in the RSVP line. Invite guests to come dressed as their favorite pop star.
- The guest of honor can help you pull together her favorite dance party playlist (set up the mix on iTunes and share it with parents of her party rocker friends to play at future dance parties). For backup, set your internet radio to the “Today’s Hits” station.
- Display pop star posters torn from the pages of teen mags on the walls (they can be rolled up and sent home with the guests), hang a disco ball from the ceiling, and sprinkle star confetti and other star-themed decorations throughout the house.
- Set up a couple of “dressing room” stations with stand-up mirrors where the girls can go all out with face paint and hair glitter, temporary tattoos, neon nail polish and stickers, and costume jewelry.
- Early in the party, give out favor bags filled with sunglasses, neon bracelets and disposable cameras to play “paparazzi” throughout the party.
- While the guests are making themselves over and practicing their rock star moves, set out bowls of snack mix to nosh on—and fill a punch bowl with an icy raspberry punch. Slice up a cheeseburger pizza pre-concert so they have plenty of energy to hit the stage.
- Once everyone is decked out, stage a karaoke contest, complete with mikes, play guitars and any additional instruments you have around the house. Mom, Dad or older siblings can play the judges—but of course everybody’s a winner here. Tape the performances to send home (and to save in the family archives).
- For the grand finale, bring out a birthday cake in the shape of a pair of bedazzled rocker jeans. Check out the how-to video for it here.
The Betty Crocker experts and Howdini.com show you how to make a fun blue jeans cake for your favorite pop star diva!
Watch the Full Size Video