Feliz Cumpleaños—that’s Happy Birthday in Spanish! Here's a fantástico dinner for a birthday celebration! Filled with the colors, flavors and the festive spirit of the Southwest, it's bound to be a great time for the birthday person and for all who come!
Decorate with Fiesta Spirit
- Place a small cactus or succulent plant at each place setting as a party favor.
- Make Ruffled Paper Baskets to hold Mexican Chex® Mix or extra tortilla chips. Or serve the snack mix in brightly colored baskets.
- Put together a quick centerpiece by arranging bell and chile peppers, avocados, limes and tomatoes on the rim of a sombrero. Or add colorful crepe-paper flowers. Surround the sombrero with brightly colored candles.
Serve Snazzy Sips
- Sparkling water as well as margaritas can be served with salted rims. Before filling the glasses, just rub the rims with the cut side of a lime or lemon and then dip the rims into a shallow dish of coarse salt. Choose a colored variety, if you'd like! You'll find colored coarse salt at gourmet or specialty grocery stores.
- Decorate drinks with fun stir sticks or by adding fruit, such as a slice of lime and a strawberry.
- Attach colorful ribbons with beads and trinkets to stems of party glasses to help guests keep track of their beverages.
Get in the Mood
- Complete the fiesta theme by having the guests come dressed in Mexican- or Southwestern-style clothes. If they don't have anything appropriate, have them dress as a tourist!
- Play Latino music in the background during the party. You can borrow CDs from your local library.