Kids’ Food Pyramid: Healthier Choices for Eating Right
Do you know about the food guidance system called MyPyramid for Kids? It’s a great resource that can help kids see how to make healthier choices for eating right, getting exercise and having fun.
Image Resource: MyPyramid for Kids
MyPyramid for Kids can help youngsters learn how to include a variety of foods from each of the food groups every day. Follow the information below and have kids enjoy a rainbow of colors at every meal each day to meet their body’s needs.
Grains (Breads, Cereal, Couscous, Oatmeal, Pasta, Rice, Tortillas)
- Start smart with a breakfast of cereal made with whole grain.
- Eat more whole grains.
- Grains provide carbohydrates for energy to keep kids running and playing hard.
Vegetables (Asparagus, Carrots, Corn, Broccoli, Green Beans, Peas, Squash, Tomatoes)
- Add color to meals with great-tasting veggies that are green and orange.
- Vegetables add vitamins, minerals and fiber to meals.
- They help kids to see and taste, and keep tummies moving along.
Fruits (Apples, Bananas, Blueberries, Grapes, Oranges, Pears, Pineapple, Raisins, Strawberries)
- Focus on eating nature’s treats every day.
- Fruits are sweet and delicious and provide vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Fruits help keep tissues healthy and provide kids with energy.
Dairy (Cheese, Milk, Yogurt)
- Serve plenty of milk at every meal.
- Be sure milk or yogurt is low fat or fat free.
- Calcium-rich dairy foods help build strong bones and teeth.
Meat & Beans (Beans, Beef, Chicken, Eggs, Fish, Nuts, Pork, Tofu)
- Go lean with protein.
- Choose beans and low-fat versions of protein that are baked, broiled or grilled, not fried.
- Meats and beans supply protein and iron to support muscles and help kids grow.
Fats, Oils and Sweets (Butter, Margarine, Oil; Candy, Treats)
- Go easy on fats, oils and sweets.
- Choose these on occasion, but limit how much and how often kids eat them.
- These extras have lots of calories and fewer nutrients than foods in other food groups.
Try These Recipes