Benefits of Fiber
Dietary Fiber is the part of plant foods that your body doesn't digest and helps with regularity.
There are two types of dietary fiber used in the labeling of food products – both are important for good health.
Soluble fiber dissolves in water and is found in foods like beans and other legumes, fruits, and oat products (e.g. Oatmeal, Cheerios®). Soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol levels, and therefore can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Insoluble fiber is considered to be the “gut-healthy fiber” because one of its roles is supporting regularity. It does not dissolve in water and can be found in whole grain products (e.g. whole wheat bread, ready to eat cereals made with whole grain, such as Fiber One cereals), and vegetables.
Health benefits of fiber you can digest.
Getting the recommended levels of fiber may lead to many healthy rewards.
- The most recognized benefit of fiber is its important role in keeping the digestive system running smoothly by promoting regularity. Fiber adds bulk to help move food through the digestive tract.
- Along with regular exercise and plenty of water, fiber plays an important part in maintaining digestive health.
- Fiber – specifically soluble fiber – may also help lower blood cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk for heart disease. Fiber appears to lower cholesterol by interfering with its absorption in the digestive tract.
- Fiber may also be important for people who have diabetes. Diets high in whole grain and fiber have been shown to help people with diabetes manage their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Getting enough fiber can also help curb your hunger and help you feel satisfied, which can help with weight management. Research suggests that people who have higher intakes of fiber tend to have healthier body weights.
- High fiber foods, like Fiber One cereal and Fiber One Honey Clusters®, may help with managing caloric intake.
When it comes to maintaining good health, the evidence is clear—fiber can play an important role!
Brought to you by Fiber One® Cereal