Setting the Table
Easy guidelines for setting the table correctly every time!
Place the flatware 1 inch from the edge of the table, arranging the pieces that will used first the farthest from the plate, so you can use the flatware from the outside toward the plate. The forks are typically to the left, and the knife (with he blade toward the plate), then the spoons to the right.
- If using a butter plate, place it above the forks.
- If serving a salad with the main course, place the salad plate to the left of the forks. The salad fork may be placed at either side of the dinner fork.
- Arrange glasses above the knife. The water glass is usually at the tip of the knife, with beverage and wine glasses to the right of the water glass.
- If serving coffee or tea at the table, place the cup slightly above and the right of the spoons.
- Place the napkin either in the center of the dinner plate or to the left of the forks at each place setting. There are many creative ways of folding napkins to make any meal festive.
- Before offering dessert, clear the table of all serving dishes, plates, salt and pepper shakers and any flatware that won't be used for the dessert course.