For 7 grams of fat and 255 calories per serving, substitute 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol free egg product for the eggs, use fat-free (skim) milk and decrease oil to 3 tablespoons.
Adding toppings to your waffle is an easy way to put a fun twist on your normal breakfast.
1. Apple-Rum Butter topping: Beat 1/2 cup softened butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup Apple Butter and 1 teaspoon rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract to taste.
2. Blackberry-Lime Sauce: In small saucepan, combine 2 cups blackberries or raspberries, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Simmer sauce for 10-15 minutes until berries break down and sauce slightly thickens; stir in 1 teaspoon grated lime peel.
3. Cherry and Granola Topping: Top with about 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt and 1/4 cup frozen (thawed) sweet cherries; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granola.
4. Maple Yogurt Topping with Candied Nuts and Bananas: Stir in 1/3 cup real maple syrup into 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt; top pancakes with maple yogurt; sprinkle with candied or regular walnuts, or pecans and sliced bananas.
5. Red, White and Blueberries Topping: Melt 1/4 cup raspberry preserves in small saucepan; add about 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice. Serve sauce with pancakes, fresh blueberries and 1/2 cup crème fraiche or sour cream mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar.
6. Super Sundae Topping: Drizzle pancakes with warm chocolate sauce or chocolate syrup; top with sliced bananas, fresh strawberries, chopped toasted pecans, sweetened whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
Waffle irons uses different amount of batter, so you may end up with more or less than six waffles from this recipe.