You'll roast the perfect, succulent Thanksgiving Day turkey thanks to our homemade brine made with salt, sugar, cloves and bay leaves.
SAVE ON THIS RECIPE!
- Brining – “a technique whereby meat is soaked in brine which tenderizes, moisturizes and flavors the meat, as well as reduces the cooking time.” (Food Lover’s Companion – Herbst and Herbst)
- Brine overnight – at least 18-24 hours; be sure brine completely covers the turkey.
- I recommend brining in a 12-quart stockpot or food safe bag that can accommodate the turkey and the brine.
- Turkey – how much should you buy? Allow about 1 pound of uncooked turkey per person.
- I recommend trussing the turkey - Truss – “ to secure meat with string, pins or skewers so the food maintains a compact shape during cooking.” (Food Lover’s Companion – Herbst and Herbst)
- Bake to internal temperature of 165 degrees – take temperature in thigh of turkey.
- Brined meat will have a slightly pink tinge – even though thoroughly baked.
© 2015 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved