Have some laid-back fun this summer by hosting a backyard bash with a wink to the tropics. Keep the party casual yet festive with beachy music, fruity cocktails and a flip-flops-required dress code.
- Favors: Welcome guests with plastic or floral leis as they come through the door or back gate.
- Footwear: Fill a basket with inexpensive, colorful flip-flops for everyone to wear. Set out a few markers so that people can decorate or sign each other’s pairs.
- Décor: Light a few tiki torches or a bonfire, hang colorful paper lanterns or streamers, and set out plenty of chairs and benches.
- Playlist: Go throwback with the Beach Boys or Frankie Avalon. Any classic surf songs will fit the bill.
- Games: Channel the beach party mood with a limbo contest once the party is in full swing.
- Movies: Play old beach movies like “Back to the Beach” if you have a projector and an open wall for screening.