Celebrate summer in French style! An updated salad Niçoise, using salmon, suits warm weather eating perfectly. Whether you choose Bastille Day, July 14, for your get-together or another summer day, guests will savor every little flavor of this delightful meal. Viva la France!
- Play French music; check online or at your local library for best selections.
- Pin the names of famous French people on the backs of guests as they arrive; guests have to figure out who they are by asking questions.
- If your guests are trivia buffs, make your own version of French trivia. Award the winner with a French music CD.
- Plan an adventure trip to France as a group activity. You can often get a custom tour for a group of 16. Ask guests to bring travel books, brochures and ideas.
- Fill French metal flower containers with fresh lavender or sunflowers.
- Place a Monet print on an easel in the party area. Or display travel posters from a travel agency.
- Place a bag or bottle of herbes de Provence (a mixture of herbs commonly used in French cooking) by each place setting for a take-home treat. Tie cards with guests' names to the herbs if desired.
French Food Presentation
- Use crisp white serving dishes; borrow from a friend if needed.
- Serve salad on a large platter instead of on individual plates to make a dramatic presentation. It will also save you time, and guests get to choose their favorite parts.
- Search on "coffee press" at the Betty Crocker® Store. You'll find plenty to tempt you! It's the trendiest way to brew coffee.
- France is famous for its pottery, fabrics and Santon figurines depicting Provençal people. Use these treasures to add French flair, color and authenticity to your table.