The easiest way to host a family reunion? Make it a potluck. Assign family members a type of dish (appetizer, entrée, side, dessert) and let them choose what to make, or hand out recipes ahead of time. Keep it casual with a serve-yourself chili buffet so that the focus is on each other—not cooking or cleanup!
Family Photo Fun
Nothing says family reunion like photos!
- Have each branch of the family tree bring a recent photo album for relatives to pass around.
- Set up a tripod and gather everyone on the front steps or in front of the fireplace for a family photo. Try to stage the photo in the same place every year for extra-fun reminiscing.
- Place a few digital photo frames around the room. Set them to scroll through pictures taken at past reunions.
- Decorate the tables and mantels with all the old family photos you can find.
Assign family members a recipe or two in advance. Depending on the size of your party, you may want to pare down or double recipes. The host’s in charge of chili and fixings!
Chili Add-Ons (box or sidebar)
The best part about a chili party is the toppings. Set out several different fixings so guests can customize their bowls. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Diced onions
- Pickled jalapeños
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Chopped black olives
- Crumbled crackers
- Corn chips