Passion for sports—football, motorsports, baseball, soccer—leads fans to gather for afternoons or evenings of TV watching or vigorous games of their own. Every championship event calls for championship food like these full of fall flavors. Or, use this versatile menu to gather friends to eat and watch the season premiere of a favorite TV show!
- Turn warm Reuben sandwiches into cool Rachel sandwiches by using a slow-cooked pastrami or turkey breast for the corned beef. Use your favorite coleslaw for the sauerkraut.
- Instead of serving the cookies or bars during the game, save them for guests to take home as flavorful party favors. Wrap a few in a small plastic bag for each guest, and tie bags with ribbon in your team's colors. Here are some we suggest:
- Use a sport-inspired cake as your centerpiece. Don't miss these three suggestions:
Meeting & Greeting
- If some party guests won't know each other, make sport-appropriate name tags for everyone. You can add the name of the team they are rooting for, or their favorite player or driver.
Fun & Predictions
- Have guests secretly write their name and predictions for the winning team and final score on a small piece of paper. At the end of the party, award a prize, such as sports sweatbands or a six- or twelve-pack of soda pop or beer, to the guest with the correct or closest-to-correct answers.
- Look for more family-friendly games online. You'll find plenty!
Setting the Table
- Purchase paper tablecloth, napkins and plates in your team's colors. Arrange food on table or counter so guests can help themselves anytime during the game.
- Buy guest-size terry towels for napkins.
- Trays make it easy for guests. Borrow some or look for them when shopping tag sales or as second-hand store finds. Give them a new coat of paint and sticker them in your team's logos or colors.