Whether they’re headed on an around-the-world cruise or making a permanent move, send your guests of honor off in style with a bon voyage soiree that pays homage to their destination.
Travel postcards or printed maps denoting the destination can double as invitations.
Set the tone with postcards or posters (vintage or travel) of the destination. Play music from the destination and do your best to plan a menu of foods to look forward to. For example:
- For a tropical destination, blow up beach balls and serve frosty drinks with umbrellas.
- Turn your home into a British pub with posters and pints for someone relocating to London.
- Choose a color palette based on the country’s flag colors.
- If it’s a multi-stop destination or cruise, use globes, ships, trains or planes.
- Set out a stack of suitcases for a “bon voyage” look and leave the top one open with paper and pens so that guests can write send-off notes.
- Play a destination-related movie (e.g., “Roman Holiday” or “Casablanca”) on silent in the background.
- Set out photos of the guests of honor’s travels.
Make a CD of music related to the destination for each guest or send everyone home with fortune cookies (store-bought or homemade; see recipe below).
Bon Voyage Recipe Ideas