- Spinach Pesto: Substitute 2 cups of firmly packed fresh spinach for the basil.
- Cilantro Pesto: Substitute 1½ cups firmly packed fresh cilantro and ½ cup firmly packed fresh parsley for the basil.
- Basil, Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Pesto: Use a food processor. Decrease basil to 1 cup. Decrease oil to 1/3 cup; add ½ cup of drained roasted red or yellow bell peppers from a jar. Substitute walnuts for the pine nuts.
- Basic Basil Pesto: In a blender or food processor, place 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, ½ cup olive oil, 3 cloves garlic and ¼ cup pine nuts. Cover; blend on medium speed about 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, until smooth.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto: Use a food processor. Omit the basil. Decrease oil to 1/3 cup; add ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, undrained.
Cool Tip: For homemade pesto anytime, freeze pesto in ice cube trays. Once frozen, move pesto cubes to a re-sealable freezer plastic bag and store in freezer up to 6 months.