Tips for buying fresh meat: • Choose packages without any tears, holes or leaks. There should be little or no liquid in the bottom of the tray.
• Packages should be cold and feel firm. Avoid packages that are stacked too high in the meat case because they may not have been kept cold enough.
• Check the sell-by date and use within 2 days of the date.
• Put packages of meat in plastic bags before putting them in your grocery cart. This way, any bacteria in the juices won’t drip on and contaminate other foods, especially those that won’t be cooked.
• Don’t buy or use meat that has turned gray or has an off odor.
• Refrigerate meat as soon as you get home from shopping. If it will take longer than 30 minutes to get it home, keep meat cold in a cooler with ice packs.
Follow cook times for pork carefully. Today’s pork is lean and requires shorter cook times. Overcooking pork will make it tough.
Complete this home-style meal with purchased corn muffins and crisp apple slices drizzled with poppy seed dressing.