Our breakfast casserole of sausage, bread, white mushrooms and cheddar cheese is holiday magic.
November 13, 2013
lb ground breakfast sausage, any flavor
red bell pepper, chopped
cups cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
pepper to taste
loaf (8 cups, 1-inch cubes) Italian bread, Ciabatta or Baguette (crusty bread)
dozen (18) large eggs
cup whole milk
cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat oven to 375°F. Brown the sausage in a saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes, breaking it into bite size pieces. Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, 1 tsp salt and pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Let cool. Drain.
In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Add remaining salt and cheese; stir to combine.
Add the bread cubes and cooled sausage mixture to a greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Toss to combine.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage: press the bread mixture down gently to soak up some of the egg mixture.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
- If desired, you could add zucchini, green peppers, yellow peppers, tomatoes.
- I recommend washing mushrooms before slicing; canned mushrooms are a great substitute.
- You can use your favorite sausage. I recommend chicken apple sausage. The recipe was tested with maple pork sausage. Ground sausage or links would work nicely.
- We used a 12-inch non-stick skillet for cooking the meat and vegetables
- Use any milk of your preference.
- Crack eggs in a separate bowl to make sure egg is okay, and you do not get any shell into the rest of your mixture.
- I recommend buttering or using cooking spray on the baking dish before adding ingredients.
- You can prep ingredients the day before, assemble quickly before placing in oven, if crunched for time.
- To check “doneness” of the casserole, insert knife – casserole is done if knife comes out clean.
- Spray foil with cooking spray before covering casserole to prevent cheese/egg sticking to foil.
- Casserole can go directly from the oven to the table – does not need to “set up.”
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories from Fat
% Daily Value
- Total Fat
- (Saturated Fat
- Trans Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- (Dietary Fiber
% Daily Value*:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat;
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole