fromarge's Recipe Reviews
Posted 2/13/2012 1:58:32 PM
French Breakfast Puffs
I first made this recipe in 7th grade Home Ec. Was it 1979? Oh my. Loved it back then, but over the years, lost the recipe. I recently found it posted here, and was happy to make it again. So I made it as it is originally written, and while it was delicious like I remembered; but perhaps my palate no longer appreciates the amount of sugar and butter coating the outside? Ugh... I felt it was too sugary and rich, for me personally. Overwhelming, in fact. So I made the following modifications, to bump up the flavors, and reduce some of the sugar and fat:
1. Reduced sugar in the muffin, to 1/3 cup
2. Substituted the shortening in the muffin, to softened butter
3. Increased nutmeg, 1/2 tsp, freshly grated, of course, and added a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Baked in mini muffin tins
5. Doubled the amount of cinnamon in the sugar mixture
6. Dipped only the tops of the muffins in butter, and sugar mixture.
The result was a delicious, flavorful, and satisfying, and the smaller bite was easier to manage