How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Learn how to make this classic dessert from scratch. All it takes is five ingredients!
Tender, flaky shortcakes with fresh strawberries and whipped cream conjure up thoughts of sweet summer days. Luckily, our four-step guide to making your best shortcake yet shows you how to prepare this classic dessert any time of year.
What you’ll need:
1. In large bowl, stir strawberries and ½ cup of the sugar until well mixed. Let stand 1 hour so strawberry juice forms. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch round cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, the baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg until blended. Spoon into pan; spread evenly.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Place cooling rack upside down on pan; turn rack and pan over and remove pan. Carefully invert shortcake onto serving plate, ride side up. Cut shortcake into 6 wedges.
4. If desired, split each wedge in half horizontally. Fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Be sure to wash and cut strawberries just before making the shortcake.
- Stir ingredients just until blended so that dough isn’t overmixed, which can make shortcake tough.
- Beat whipping cream only until soft peaks form so that it holds a loose shape when spooned onto the shortcake.
More delicious strawberry shortcake recipes: