How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Learn how to make this classic dessert from scratch. All it takes is five ingredients!
Tender, flaky shortcakes with fresh strawberries and whipped cream conjure up thoughts of sweet summer days. Luckily, our four-step guide to making your best shortcake yet shows you how to prepare this classic dessert any time of year.
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups Gold Medal Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Sweetened Whipped Cream for topping
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- 9-inch round cake pan
- Pastry blender or fork
- Cooling rack
1. In large bowl, stir strawberries and ½ cup of the sugar until well mixed. Let stand 1 hour so strawberry juice forms. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch round cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
- Be sure to wash and cut strawberries just before making the shortcake.
- Stir ingredients just until blended so that dough isn’t overmixed, which can make shortcake tough.
- Beat whipping cream only until soft peaks form so that it holds a loose shape when spooned onto the shortcake.
More delicious strawberry shortcake recipes: