How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Learn how to make this classic dessert from scratch. All it takes is a few simple steps!
Welcome strawberry season by making homemade, flaky shortcakes that would make Grandma proud. Our step-by-step guide makes it super easy!
What you’ll need:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, stir the strawberries (with juices) and ¼ cup of sugar until well mixed.
3. Stir in milk, and then place the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead five to seven times, or until dough forms. Pat dough ½-inch thick and cut out 12 rounds with a 2 ½-inch round cutter. Place the rounds onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush egg yolk over rounds and sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar. Bake the rounds for 12 to 15 minutes or until they’re golden-brown. Cool for 15 minutes.
4. Split the shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon strawberries between halves and top with whipped cream and additional strawberries, if desired.
- Stir ingredients until just blended so that dough isn’t overmixed and your shortcakes turn out flaky. Overmixing can lead to tough dough.
- Making shortcakes is the perfect way to showcase fruit that’s in season. Make it all year round using fruit like blueberries, raspberries or peaches.