Deviled Eggs: How to Make a Perfect Batch
Deviled eggs are delicious. Smooth, hard-boiled eggs are filled with yolks whipped into creamy perfection. Here’s how to make your basic recipe even better.
Imagine this scenario: It’s Friday at 4 p.m., and you’ve been in a rush all day. Grabbing your keys to run out the door for a string of must-do errands, your eye catches the calendar and the note scribbled on today's date: “Dinner Party at 5 p.m. Bring an Appetizer."
If your first inclination is to panic, there’s no need! You can have a plate full of fantastic, homemade appetizers made in minutes. Deviled eggs are a party classic. They cook up in no time at all, taste terrific and make for a perfectly quick, budget-friendly appetizer.
Of course, don’t reserve deviled eggs for parties alone. Whether you need a simple Sunday dinner side dish, a great game-day finger food or an accompaniment to a springtime barbecue, deviled eggs deliver!
Classic deviled egg recipes typically call for a spoonful of mayonnaise stirred into the cooked yolks. But there’s no reason you have to get your deviled eggs stuck in a rut. We’ve mixed up three fantastically simple recipes that you are sure to love. Just follow our quick, step-by-step tutorial for Easy-to-Peel Hard-Boiled Eggs, then whip up one of our fun new flavors--Pesto, Chipotle or Pizza Deviled Eggs--for treats that taste truly eggs-traordinary!
Perfect, Easy-to-Peel Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Place the eggs in a large empty pot.
- Add cold tap water, making sure to put in enough water to cover the eggs completely with about an inch of water above them.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the pot.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Set the pot on a large burner and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the eggs are boiling, turn the heat off.
- Keep the pot covered, and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Gently pour the hot water from the pot. Place the eggs in a large bowl, and cover with several cups of ice. This will “shock” the eggs and make them easy to peel.
- After sitting in the ice bath for several minutes, the eggs are ready to peel.
- Once peeled, try one of our recipes for Pesto, Chipotle or Pizza Deviled Eggs.